Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Noela's finished alphabet no.1, 2013

At last - the fabric hanging alphabet is finished.
I hand stitched patches of dyed silk to the backs of the letters and added a lovely highlight of red kimono silk to the back of the letter 'o'.


I ended up with 4 'drop lengths' of letters, then bound the bottom edges and added satay sticks to the top edges for strength and hanging fixtures.
Next I found, cut to size and drilled a lovely piece of word worm eaten driftwood to match the wabi sabi nature of the letters.
The four drops were stitched through the holes in the wood and fixed on the top with tiny buttons, then loose cords were bound into a hanging cord.

Every stage of this alphabet posed a logistical challenge, but I like the result...definitely 'me'.


  1. Doesn't that look great. Bet you are pleased.

  2. This is a great way to display the letters. Love the bit of driftwood at the top!
    Sandy in the UK

  3. moi aussi je trouve ça très beau! la présentation en fait un très bel objet

  4. Your rusty alphabet is wonderful!


Thank you for taking the time to comment - it's always great to hear from folk.