Then, as seems so often to occur, I stumbled across an idea which would enable me to try out an alphabet. One of my projects for a group of smaller works involves cut paper techniques with which I am not yet practically acquainted. I need to practise, and what better way to do so with the combination of straights, curves, and angles involved in cutting an alphabet!
The card that I decided to use is a surplus pile of postcards left over from my knitwear design era.
I started by cutting out a square of the required background size, drew the letter on the back and cut from the back also - with a scalpel. I must admit that I have some experience with using a scalpel from the 70s when I was in publishing, making design layouts and using Letraset (remember Letraset?). Indeed my scalpel is a Letraset scalpel.
Anyway, it's all far from perfect, but it was good enough to continue - and I was having great fun, especially as the rheumatism in my fingers seems to be in abeyance while the sun is shining.
When I was cutting out the letters I was thinking about the word Peace, and also looking at the two figures fully represented on the card. I decided to try the tighter curves involved in cutting out those figures, and at the same time to try the much smaller letters of the word Peace cut from the width of the card.
Of course it immediately occurred to me that the figures should be holding the word up as a banner, especially as I had had to have a base to link the letters to anyway. When I looked at the mass of individual letters on my cutting mat they looked like a forest, a mass, a crowd, ... into which the figures could perhaps be placed.
And there we have it: my Peace alphabet - not done at the pace of one letter per week, I'm afraid. And not done with any great competence - but done.